Can You Use EBT/Food Stamps/SNAP in Another State? Answered

EBT acceptance sign on the door of a store

Short Answer — As long as the store you choose accepts EBT, you can use your EBT card throughout your home state as well as in any other state across the U.S.

Can You Use EBT in Another State?

As long as you have an available balance, you can use your EBT card in another state at any store that accepts EBT.

The Electronic Benefit Transfer Interoperability and Portability Act of 2000 requires that all states be able to process each other’s EBT cards. Under this act, your EBT card will be valid at any EBT-approved retailer in any state.

Note that a few states accept EBT at fast food restaurants, pizza places, and other restaurants through Restaurant Meals Programs. (See the list of fast food that takes EBT.)

However, these programs are only available to residents of those states who meet additional eligibility criteria based on their age, health, or housing status.

Restaurant Meals Program locations are an exception to the interoperability rule; you cannot use your EBT card at restaurants in other states.

Using EBT While You Travel

If you live near and often cross the state line or are traveling between states, you can use your EBT card just as you would if you were at home.

Keep in mind that the items you can and can’t purchase with EBT are the same in each state.

Our related research lists stores that accept EBT, as well as grocery stores that accept EBT for food delivery orders.

Using EBT When Moving

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits are issued on a case-by-case basis and require recipients to report all changes to their income or living situation, including residence information.

It is important to keep your caseworker notified of any upcoming moves, whether local, to a neighboring county, or out-of-state.

Moving Within the Same State

If you move outside your current county, you will need to transfer your case to the new county.

Each state has its own rules and regulations for SNAP/EBT operations, but your current caseworker should be able to assist you with the necessary steps.

Some states require recipients to reapply for benefits in their new county.

Moving Out of State

While SNAP is a federal program, each state is responsible for administering EBT benefits.

If you move out of state, you will need to close your case in your current state and apply for benefits in the state where you are moving.

To easily access information about the EBT programs in your current state and new state, the USDA has a map detailing each state’s EBT contact information and website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *