Food City offers money order and check cashing services in its more than 120 locations throughout the U.S. You can buy money orders for a small fee and cash a check — even late into the evening — at Food City. However, be aware that Food City has stringent check cashing requirements.
Food City Check Cashing Policy
Food City doesn’t cash money orders, but it does cash certain types of checks.
Before cashing check at Food City, you should know these things:
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll checks, U.S. government checks, and rebate checks on the store-approved list.
- Requirements: For payroll and rebate checks, the paying company must be on Food City’s approved list before they will cash any checks. You can call your nearby Food City store to ask if your company’s paychecks are approved for cashing. Management has the right to refuse any check cashing request.
- Fee: $3 per check
- Limit: $1,000
- Hours: 6 AM – 12 AM, but varies slightly by location
For more places to cash a check, see our article on grocery stores that cash them.
Food City Money Order Policy
Buying a Money Order
You can buy a money order at any Food City location.
- Type of money order: Western Union
- Fee: $1 per money order
- Limit: $500 per money order
- Accepted payment: Cash or debit card
- Hours: Typically 6 AM – 12 AM, but may vary by store
- Source: Customer service
Compare your options with our list of other places that offer money orders.
Note: Because Food City uses Western Union for its money orders, if your money order is lost or stolen, your nearby Food City will not be able to help you. For that, see our research on how to replace a money order.
Cashing a Money Order
Food City does not cash money orders, even the ones that were purchased at Food City.
Find more options in our list of places that cash money orders.