Can you cash your payroll check at Hy-Vee? Only in select stores. Because each Hy-Vee location is independently owned, there is no standard check cashing policy and not all stores choose to offer this service. Here is how to find your nearest Hy-Vee store and how to determine if they offer check cashing services. And if they do, we give the answers to other questions you’ll likely want to know…
Does Hy-Vee Cash Checks?
Each Hy-Vee location is independently owned, so it is up to each store owner whether to offer check cashing services. Based on information available on the Hy-Vee website, just a fraction of the stores offer this service. For example, we reviewed 90 Hy-Vee locations in Iowa and found that only 15 offer check cashing services.
You can check if your local Hy-Vee offers check cashing services by searching Hy-Vee’s store locator and searching for your store by zip code, state, or city. After your search, you will be shown a list of Hy-Vee stores in that area. Find your desired store on the list and click ‘store details’. Once on the store detail page, click ‘Department Features’ on the left-hand column. If the selected store offers check cashing services, it will be listed in either the customer service or general merchandise section on that page.
Here’s the Hy-Vee Check Cashing Policy for the Locations That Do Cash Checks
Because each Hy-Vee location is independently owned, policies may vary from store to store. However, we contacted several locations that offer check cashing services to provide you with general policies on check cashing:
- Types of checks cashed: All locations we contacted limited check cashing to payroll checks. None of the stores cash handwritten payroll checks. Suggested Article: Payroll Check Cashing near Me? 30 Places to Cash Payroll Checks (Handwritten Even)
- Check cashing limits: Limits vary by store, though most were set at $2,000 or $5,000.
- Check cashing fees: We found that most stores charge between $2 – $6, depending on location and the amount of the check to be cashed. Suggested Article: 8 Places That Offer Free Check Cashing: Kmart? BB&?, Citbank?…
- Requirements: If you have not used Hy-Vee’s check cashing service in the state, you must first enroll in Hy-Vee’s system. To enroll, you are required to provide an in-state, government-issued ID. Several stores surveyed also required a second form of ID to enroll.
- Hours available: Hy-Vee store hours vary from one location to the next. Some stores are open 24 hours and therefore offer 24-hour check cashing services, while other stores have more limited hours, such as 5AM-midnight.
Does Hy-Vee cash checks? Does Hy-Vee cash payroll checks? Maybe to both. Not every Hy-Vee offers check cashing services, and among those that do, check cashing requirements may vary. Keep in mind that check cashing is limited to payroll checks at all the stores we contacted. Before visiting your local Hy-Vee to cash a payroll check, contact them to learn more about their check cashing policy. If your local Hy-Vee doesn’t have check cashing, there are lots of other grocery stores that do. For help finding one, see our article, Grocery Stores That Cash Checks: Personal, Payroll, Insurance, etc.