Short Answer: Cabela’s charges around $20 to $50 for FFL transfers when you purchase a gun from an online broker. There are no transfer fees if you purchase a gun directly from Cabela’s online or at a store. Cabela’s does not do private dealer FFL transfers. For more information about the FFL transfer process, see below.
Cabela’s FFL Transfer Fees & Process
Cabela’s is a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer, which means it can perform background checks and complete the required paperwork to sell firearms. When you purchase a gun online, you can’t have it shipped directly to your house; instead, you’ll need to ship it to an FFL dealer like Cabela’s that can legally process gun transfers.
Below, we detail the process for transferring ownership at Cabela’s, depending on where you purchase the firearm. Note that additional fees outside of the FFL transfer fee may apply depending on your state, such as background check fees.
Online Gun Broker Orders
- FFL transfer fees: Vary depending on state and local regulations; usually between $20 and $50. When you call your local Cabela’s to confirm that it accepts transfers, you can also find out the exact fee amount.
- Process: Before ordering a gun from a third-party online broker (like GunBroker.com), contact the Cabela’s near you to confirm that it accepts transfers. If it does, enter the Cabela’s store address in the shipping information when ordering the gun. The process to pick up your firearm will be the same as if you ordered it from Cabela’s.
Online Purchases from Cabela’s
- FFL transfer fees: None
- Process: During checkout, enter your ZIP code and select a location for in-store pickup. (Keep in mind that the Cabela’s store must be in the same state as your primary residence.) You’ll also need to fill out an Online Firearm Ordering Agreement. To claim your gun, you’ll need to fill out a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Form 4473 at the store, and then Cabela’s will run a National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS). You must also prove that you meet state and federal requirements for owning that particular gun. If everything checks out, Cabela’s will issue your firearm.
In-Store Purchases from Cabela’s
- FFL transfer fees: None
- Process: To purchase a gun in-store, you’ll need to fill out an ATF Form 4473 and pass the NICS background check. You must also prove that you meet state and federal requirements for owning that particular gun. Cabela’s will then issue you your firearm.
Private Dealer FFL Transfers
Cabela’s no longer offers private dealer FFL transfer services. Under federal law, you don’t need a license to buy or sell firearms, as long as the individual you’re buying from or selling to lives in the same state as you do. Still, if you’re buying or selling a gun, it’s a good idea to make sure it’s legally transferred. To find an FFL dealer that handles person-to-person gun transfers, try an online search for “FFL dealers near me.”
- Cabela’s customer service (800) 237-4444