Here’s what to know about no credit check car rentals. When you need a rental car but your credit has seen its share of bumps and bruises (or if you have no credit), you may think it is the end of the road. Most people with poor credit are under the assumption that they won’t be able to rent a car, whether it’s because they have no major credit card, because their poor credit won’t stand up to a credit check, or because they have no credit.
But you’re not out of luck!
This article is focused on the national car rental companies that don’t do credit checks.
We’ve also included car rental companies that do perform credit checks, so you’re not left wondering.
Note: We only included those car rental companies with clear policies regarding credit checks. There are many ride sharing and independently owned car rental companies; however, credit check policies for these establishments tend to vary from one location to the next.
Why Do Some Car Rental Companies Perform Credit Checks?
Credit checks are frequently used by car rental companies as a way of determining liability and the risk associated with renting to certain individuals who want to rent a car but lack a major credit card. In other words, in the eyes of some car rental companies, poor credit/no credit equates to irresponsibility.
However, recognizing that unfortunate life circumstances often cause low credit scores and limit some people from obtaining a major credit card, many car rental agencies have changed their rental policies to help those who lack credit.
Car Rental Companies That Don’t Do Credit Checks
The following car rental companies do not require a credit check, even if you don’t use a credit card. Many car rental companies accept a debit card in the place of a credit card. There are also several companies that will allow you to reserve a rental car with a prepaid credit card, and some that will let you pay cash for your rental.
Note: Whenever information couldn’t be found on the company website, we called the company directly.
- Does Alamo do a credit check? No
- Payment Types Accepted Besides Credit Cards: Debit cards bearing the Visa, Mastercard or Discover Card logo are accepted; any other non-credit card without one of these logos is not accepted. Read more about their rental policy using a debit card here.
- Other Requirements: If a debit card is presented at the time of rental, you must show proof of a confirmed round-trip travel ticket. Without proof of a round-trip ticket, debit or check cards are only accepted as a form of payment at the time of return.
- Rent a car with Alamo here.
2. Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Does Enterprise do a credit check? No
- Payment Types Accepted Besides Credit Cards: Debit cards are accepted with proof of a round-trip travel ticket at the time of rental; an additional security deposit may be required. Read more about their rental policy using a debit card here. Cash and virtual credit cards are not accepted as forms of payment. Some non-airport Enterprise locations accept debit cards, prepaid cards and other forms of payments. You must contact the local office directly to determine what forms of payments are accepted.
- Other Requirements: You must provide proof of a round-trip ticket at the time of rental; an additional security deposit may be required (you must contact the location directly to determine if an additional security deposit is required). You must be at least 21 years of age to rent a car through Enterprise. A young renter’s fee may be applied to the cost of your rental if you are between the ages of 21 and 24 (note that the minimum age in Michigan and New York State is 18). U.S. government employees can rent if they are at least 18 years of age, provided that they show the renting office their official orders. Some Enterprise branches may accept cash or a money order using their “cash qualification” process for customers without a credit card; to qualify under the cash qualification process, you must present the following at the time of rental: two current utility bills (water, gas, internet/cable), your most recent paycheck stub, proof of insurance (or purchase Enterprise insurance if you don’t have car insurance), and at least two personal references (full name and phone number).
- Rent a car with Enterprise Rent-A-Car here.
- Find out if Enterprise has a student discount
- Does National do a credit check? No
- Payment Types Accepted Besides Credit Cards: National accepts debit cards, provided they bear the Visa, Mastercard, or Discover Card logo. You must provide proof of a confirmed round-trip when using a debit card. Without proof of a round-trip ticket, a debit card can only be used as a form of payment at the time of return. Learn more about their rental policy using a debit card here.
- Other Requirements: If you pay with cash or a money order, you must provide proof of employment and a home phone, cell phone or utility bill in your name. You may need to provide a deposit in the amount of the rental charge plus an additional amount, up to $500.
- Rent a car with National here.
Want to learn even more? Check out this comprehensive list of car rental companies that will accept debit cards.
Car Rental Companies That Do Perform Credit Checks
The following car rental companies require a major credit card or conduct a credit check when using a debit card or other form of payment. Note that car rental companies may do a soft or hard pull when checking your credit. A hard pull credit check shows up on your credit report and typically drops your score by a few points. It is always best to ask the agent when renting a car if they will conduct a hard or soft pull. Companies would not give us a universal answer.
- Does Avis Do a Credit Check If You’re Not Using a Credit Card? Yes
- Payment Types Accepted Besides Credit Cards: Avis accepts a prepaid or debit card as a form of rental payment online. However, they may not be accepted for the credit hold when picking up the car at all locations. At locations that accept debit cards, Avis will perform a credit check to ensure credit worthiness before releasing the car. You must also present a second form of identification. You may use a debit card, cash or check card for the payment at the end of the rental. Read more about their rental policy using a debit card here.
- Rent a car with Avis here.
- Does Budget do a credit check? Yes
- Payment Types Accepted Besides Credit Cards: Some locations accept debit cards in lieu of a credit card. At certain locations, you may be subject to a credit check when using a debit card. Some locations may require a third form of identification (in addition to a driver’s license and debit card) for debit card holders. If you are using a debit card, Budget may request an authorization hold against your account for the estimated charges against your rental. The minimum debit card authorization hold is $100. Check your local Budget office to determine what they require for debit card holders. Read more about their rental policy using a debit card here.
- Other Requirements: If you use a debit card at an airport location, your third form of identification may be a round-trip travel ticket, current vehicle insurance card, a current copy (within the last 60 days) of your cell phone bill, home telephone bill, bank statement, utility bill or your valid U.S. passport. Renters under 25 years of age are not permitted to use a debit card.
- Rent a car with Budget here.
- Does Dollar Do a Credit Check If You’re Not Using a Credit Card? Yes
- Payment Types Accepted Besides Credit Cards: You may use a debit card to qualify at the start of the rental. However, in most cases, the store location will perform a credit check to determine your creditworthiness at the time of rental. Debit and prepaid or store value cards are accepted for payment at the end of your rental. Read more about their rental policy using a debit card here.
- Rent a car with Dollar here.
- Does Hertz do a credit check? Yes
- Payment Types Accepted Besides Credit Cards: Hertz allows the use of debit cards. However, in most cases, the location will perform a credit check for debit card customers to determine credit worthiness at the time of rental.
- Other Requirements: You must present two valid forms of ID and one of the following:
- A Corporate Discount Plan (CDP) number listed on your reservation; OR
- Proof of a round-trip travel ticket that coincides with the rental (if you are renting at an airport location).
- Rent a car with Hertz here.
Read more about the Hertz credit check policy (such as minimum score required) in this article.
- Does Thrifty Do a Credit Check If You’re Not Using a Credit Card? Yes
- Payment Types Accepted Besides Credit Cards: Debit cards may be used to qualify for a car rental through Thrifty; however, in most cases, a credit check is performed to determine your creditworthiness at the time of rental. Debit cards and prepaid or store value cards can be used for payment at the end of the rental. Read more about their rental policy using a debit card here.
- Rent a car with Thrifty here.
Car rentals are available without a credit check.
Doing so is becoming more common among many of the nation’s largest rental car companies, which is convenient for the millions of Americans who lack credit and/or major credit cards and those who simply don’t want a company rooting around in their credit history.
When using another form of payment to reserve a car, expect to provide the car rental company with additional forms of identification, a hold of anywhere from $100 to $500 if you use a debit card, and proof of travel. While the credit check information we have provided is universal at all locations, other policies may vary by location. It’s important to contact the rental company’s local office to learn more about rental requirements.