Walmart Neighborhood Market cashes checks at its Money Service center. There is a $5,000 amount limit and a fee of $3 to $6, depending on the check amount. It also cashes money orders with the same limits and fees — but only those purchased from the same store location.
Walmart Neighborhood Market Check Cashing Policy
Walmart Neighborhood Market cashes checks. However, unlike regular Walmart stores, you can only cash a check at the Money Service center — not at the register.
Keep the following rules in mind:
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll checks, government checks, tax checks, cashiers’ checks, insurance settlement checks, 401 (k), retirement disbursement checks, MoneyGram money orders that were purchased at that particular Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Limit: $5,000
- Fees: $3 for checks up to $1,000; $6 for checks $1000.01-$5,000
- Requirements: Valid, government-issued photo ID. The types of identification Walmart accepts for check cashing include:
- Driver’s licenses
- State-issued IDs
- Military IDs
- Tribal IDs
- U.S. passports
- Source: Customer Service representative and the Walmart Check Cashing page
Once your check is validated through TeleCheck, you can receive your money as cash or have it loaded onto a Walmart MoneyCard. The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid, reloadable Mastercard that can be used anywhere Mastercard debit is accepted. You may purchase the card for $3 at Walmart Neighborhood Market or request one online and have it shipped to you, free of charge.
Compare your options in our list of grocery stores that cash checks.
Walmart Neighborhood Market Money Order Policy
Walmart Neighborhood Markets also cash money orders — but only those purchased from that particular Walmart Neighborhood Market location. You must present the receipt as proof that the money order was purchased there.
- Maximum order cashed: $5,000
- Fees: $3 for money orders up to $1,000, and $6 for money orders greater than $1,000.
- Source: Corporate customer service and the Walmart Check Cashing page.
Please note that Walmart Neighborhood Market Money Centers (located at customer service) are only open certain hours, which vary by location, and may not be open during the same hours that the Walmart Neighborhood Market is open. The money center, generally, is open 7 a.m. – 10 p.m., but you’ll want to double check money center hours with your local Walmart Neighborhood Market.
Find more options in our list of places that cash money orders.