Walmart Neighborhood Markets focus on three of Walmart’s biggest categories: groceries, pharmacies, and fuel. They are much smaller than the Supercenters but still offer the same prices. They feature a wide range of fresh and organic produce, gluten-free products, other groceries, beauty supplies, and more. And, like the typical Walmart Supercenter, Walmart Neighborhood Markets have Walmart MoneyCenters. Walmart Neighborhood Market MoneyCenters have all the usual financial services. So does Walmart Neighborhood Market cash checks? Yes. Does Walmart Neighborhood Market do money orders? Yes to that as well.
Walmart Neighborhood Market Check Cashing Policy
Walmart Neighborhood Market cashes checks. However, unlike regular Walmart stores, you can only cash a check at the Money Service center — not at the register. Read on to learn more about Walmart Neighborhood Market’s check cashing policy:
- Types of checks cashed: Payroll checks, government checks, tax checks, cashiers’ checks, insurance settlement checks, 401 (k), retirement disbursement checks, MoneyGram money orders that were purchased at that particular Walmart Neighborhood Market
- Limit: $5,000
- Fees: $3 for checks up to $1,000; $6 for checks $1000.01-$5,000
- Requirements: Valid, government-issued photo ID. The types of identification Walmart accepts for check cashing include:
- Driver’s licenses
- State-issued IDs
- Military IDs
- Tribal IDs
- U.S. passports
- Source: Customer Service representative and Walmart Check Cashing
- Find your nearest Walmart Neighborhood Market
Once your check is validated through TeleCheck, you can receive your money as cash or have it loaded onto a Walmart MoneyCard. The Walmart MoneyCard is a prepaid, reloadable Mastercard that can be used anywhere Mastercard debit is accepted. You may purchase the card for $3 at Walmart Neighborhood Market or request one online and have it shipped to you, free of charge.
Walmart Neighborhood Market Money Order Policy
Walmart Neighborhood Markets also cash money orders — but only those purchased from that particular Walmart Neighborhood Market location. You must present the receipt as proof that the money order was purchased there.
- Maximum order cashed: $5,000
- Fees: $3 for money orders up to $1,000, and $6 for money orders greater than $1,000.
- Source: Corporate customer service and the Walmart Check Cashing page.
Please note that Walmart Neighborhood Market Money Centers (located at customer service) are only open certain hours, which vary by location, and may not be open during the same hours that the Walmart Neighborhood Market is open. The money center, generally, is open 7 a.m. – 10 p.m., but you’ll want to double check money center hours with your local Walmart Neighborhood Market.
If you live near an urban center and are looking for additional options to cash checks and money orders, look to see if a Walmart Neighborhood Market has opened near you. Walmart Neighorhood Markets have standard Walmart MoneyCenters, so you can take care of a host of financial errands there. If you’re a regular Walmart shopper, it’s important to remember that the rules pertaining to the limits, fees, and requirements for money order and check cashing may be slightly different at a Walmart Neighborhood Market than they are at a regular Walmart Supercenter.
For more places to cash checks, see our article Grocery Stores That Cash Checks: Personal, Payroll, Insurance, etc. And, for more places that cash money orders, check out our article: Where Can I Cash a Money Order?