Many types of expensive equipment, such as cars and electronics, can be financed. But what about drones? Actually, yes. There are a number of options available. Most online retailers offer finance options for DJI-brand drones and other drones through third-party companies. DJI itself offers financing through Affirm and allows you to apply for financing during checkout. Below, we have more details on financing a DJI drone.
DJI Drone Financing Options
Yes, it is possible to get DJI drone financing. And you don’t have to get a personal loan from a bank or credit union to do it. Many drone retailers, including the official DJI online store, offer financing options. You can apply for financing while making your purchase online.
Financing allows you to pay for your drone in installments while you are already using it. That means, if you’re using your drone for business, you can pay a small amount upfront and immediately start using your drone to earn money. Over time, you can use business profits to pay back the cost of the drone. Drone financing agreements can be as short as three months or as long as three years.
Financing a drone is an alternative to saving up for the purchse in cash or putting the purchase on a credit card. You may prefer to finance a drone if you don’t have a credit card or you need to keep your business credit open for other purchases.
Be aware that financing can involve high interest rates and late payment fees, even if advertised as “no-interest” financing. For example, a lender offering six months of interest-free financing will often charge interest from the purchase date rather than the end of the promotional period if you aren’t able to pay off the item within six months.
Before accepting financing, it’s a good idea to make sure you have clear facts regarding your interest rate, payment schedule, total payoff amount, and early payoff options. Note that missed payments can negatively impact your credit score.
How Does a Drone Payment Plan Work?
Most big-box retailers that sell electronic and photography equipment, including drones, do not offer finance options for in-store purchases. Customer service representatives for Best Buy, Target, and Walmart confirmed that the only financing they offer is through store credit cards.
However, many online retailers offer finance options for drones through third-party companies like Affirm. You can typically apply for financing during checkout. This is done in a few simple steps:
- At checkout, select the financing option for payment. This will often be labeled something like “Pay in monthly installments” or “Apply for financing with ___.”
- Create an account with the third-party financing company. You will need to supply your name, contact information, and Social Security number. Some companies may also ask for information about your financial history, income, and employment.
- You will be notified immediately if you are approved for financing or not. If you are approved, you will be shown the amount of the loan, as well as the interest rate and how long you have to pay it off.
- Once you receive the terms of the loan, you can purchase the drone right away — just as you would normally purchase something online.
- After completing your purchse, you will need to make monthly payments until the loan balance is paid off. Many companies allow you to schedule automatic payments through a checking, savings, or PayPal account.
Financing a Drone with DJI
DJI allows you to pay in installments by selecting Affirm or PayPal Credit at checkout. At the DJI online store, Affirm financing is available for any purchase over $100. In the shopping cart, click the “Financing available through Affirm” link to apply. To use PayPal credit, you’ll need to apply on PayPal’s website and then click “Checkout with PayPal” in the DJI shopping cart. Further details of these payment options are as follows:
- Does a “soft pull” credit check, which won’t impact your credit score
- Terms of three, six, or twelve months
- No late fees
- See the Affirm website for current APR information.
- PayPal Credit
- Offered through Synchrony Bank, which sometimes does a hard pull
- Six months to pay off your purchase of $99 or more in full with no interest; after six months, you will be charged interest from the date of purchase
- Late fees up to $38
- See PayPal Credit’s terms and conditions for current APR information.
Places to Finance a Drone Online
We have the list of places to finance a drone online, Keep in mind, retailers work with various lenders, so loan amounts, repayment plans, and interest rates vary by company.
- Drone Nerds: You can finance a DJI drone or another type of drone from Drone Nerds through Affirm. Just select a payment plan for three, six, or 12 months. Your loan and interest rate is calculated based on this information and a soft credit check.
- DSLRPros: Financing for all drones is offered through Affirm. Payment plans are offered for three, six, or 12 months.
- DynnexDrones.com: Drones by DJI, Parrot, and more can be financed through Bread. Repayment plans vary from 12 to 36 months. The application process does involve a soft credit check.
- LutherSales: LutherSales advertises a “three-minute easy application.” Financing approval is based on your work history (instead of your credit score) and you have up to 36 months to pay off the loan balance.
- Maverick Drone Systems: Besides standard financing through Affirm, Maverick Drone Systems offers capital leasing. This allows you to pay monthly for the use of a drone for the length of its “useful life.”
- RC Hobby Pro: Drone loans are offered through Klarna. Payment plans vary from 12 to 36 months.
- SkyBoss Drones: SkyBoss Drones partners with Affirm to offer three-, six-, or 12-month contracts on all drone brands.
- Space City Drones: Space City Drones offers financing for DJI and Parrot drones through Affirm. Repayment plans vary from three to 12 months.
- Vertigo Drones: Monthly payments start as low as $25 with a flat interest rate of $1.50 for every $50 of your balance. Vertigo Drones’ FuturePay option is backed by an independent bank.
- Verydrone: Verydrone financing is through Bread. You can pay for the drone over 12 months at 0% APR or over 24 to 36 months at competitive rates.
If you’re not confident in your credit score, you may want to see our article on drone financing options with no credit check.
Drone payment plans exist. Financing a drone allows you to purchase an expensive piece of equipment and begin using it immediately while you pay off the purchase price, plus interest. Online retailers, such as LutherSales, Verydrone, DSLRPros, and Space City Drones, offer drone financing through third-party lenders. The official DJI webstore also offers drone financing through Affirm. When financing, be sure to know the terms and total payoff amount of your drone (with interest) to avoid payment problems that can negatively impact your credit score.