Most items purchased at Walmart stores or on Walmart’s website can be returned without a receipt within 90 days of purchase or delivery. However, some items do require a receipt, including computers, video game hardware, and other electronics. Additionally, some items, such as cell phones, have a return window shorter than 90 days. Returns aren’t available for final sale items at any time, with or without a receipt. Continue below for more details about Walmart’s return policy with no receipt.
Walmart Returns Without a Receipt
Walmart usually accepts returns within 90 days of the purchase date with or without a receipt, as noted in Walmart’s corporate policies. Any Walmart store can process returns for most items purchased in-store or on Walmart.com. It does not have to be the store the item was purchased from, though store managers do have the discretion to refuse a return.
Online orders can be looked up in your Walmart.com account. Items eligible for return will have the option to print a store returns receipt, so not having a receipt shouldn’t be an issue when returning a Walmart.com purchase.
Some items do not fall under this return policy, per the returns page on the Walmart website. The following items may not be returned without a receipt and have a shorter time frame for returns:
- Within 14 days of purchase with a receipt:
- Contract cellular devices
- Within 15 days of purchase with a receipt:
- Drones, computers, camcorders, digital cameras, music players, tablets, e-readers, portable video players, GPS units, new and refurbished video game hardware, prepaid cell phones, hoverboards, electric bikes, electric scooters, smartwatches, activity trackers, radio controlled vehicles, and printers (excluding 3D printers)
- Within 30 days of purchase with a receipt:
- 3D printers, 3D printing supplies, 3D printing products, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, pressure washers, and generators
- Within 90 days of purchase with a receipt and if unopened and sealed:
- CDs, movies and TV shows on DVD or Blu-ray, audiotapes, videotapes, and video games
Additionally, the following items are final sale, meaning you cannot return them with or without a receipt:
- Diabetic products including meters, strips, lancets, lancet devices, and syringes
- Firearms, ammunition, and pepper spray
- Gas-powered mini bikes, dirt bikes, go karts, UTVs, and ATVs
- Gift cards
- Minutes for prepaid cellular phones
- Over-the-counter drugs that contain pseudoephedrine and pseudotropine
- Perishable food items
- Prescription drugs
- Software delivered via email
- Video game download cards
An important note on gift cards: Some states require by law that gift cards be returnable or refundable. If you live in one of the following states or territories, you should contact your local Walmart for details about its gift card return policy: California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Maine, Montana, New Jersey, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, or Vermont.
Making a Walmart Return Without a Receipt
If you need to return a Walmart purchase without a receipt, take your item to the customer service counter. Be sure you have all of the original packaging and any accessories.
Let the employee know that you don’t have a receipt. The employee will then start the refund verification process (which we detail in our related article). You will need to present a valid government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license or military ID. Walmart will use information from your ID to keep track of your returns without a receipt in their system. Walmart may deny future return requests from customers with excessive returns on record.
The reason for your return will determine how your return is processed. Cash refunds are only available for items without a receipt if the item you’re returning is less than $25. If your item is equal to or greater than $25, you will be given a Walmart gift card instead
If your item is defective, Walmart may be able to help you send it back to the manufacturer for repair. The store might also give you the option of making an exchange for another of the same item or choosing a replacement.
Store managers may deny returns at their discretion. If the store manager you’re speaking with does not approve your return without a receipt, you can visit another Walmart store near you and attempt to return the item there instead.
Walmart accepts returns without a receipt for most items up to 90 days after purchase, with some exceptions. Certain items are final sale and cannot be returned, such as firearms and gift cards in most states. Other items, such as cell phones, must have a receipt and must be returned within 14 days of purchase. You can return most Walmart.com purchases to a Walmart store. Walmart.com orders can be looked up in your Walmart.com account, allowing you to print a store returns receipt for eligible items.