Short Answer: You can return most items purchased at Walmart stores or on Walmart’s website without a receipt within 90 days of purchase or delivery. However, some items do require a receipt, including computers, video game hardware, and other electronics. Additionally, some items have a return window shorter than 90 days. Returns aren’t available for final sale items at any time, with or without a receipt. Continue below for more details about Walmart’s return policy with no receipt.
Walmart Returns Without a Receipt
Walmart usually accepts returns within 90 days of the purchase date with or without a receipt, as noted in Walmart’s corporate policies. Any Walmart store can process returns for most items purchased in-store or on Walmart.com. You do not have to go to the same store from which you purchased the item, though store managers do have the authority to refuse a return at their discretion.
You can find receipts for online orders through your Walmart.com account; items eligible for return will have the option to print a store returns receipt. See our related article for more information on Walmart’s return policy for online items.
Return Policy Exceptions
Some items do not fall under this return policy, per the returns page on the Walmart website. The following items have a shorter time frame for returns and cannot be returned without a receipt:
- Within 14 days of purchase with a receipt:
- Pre-paid and post-paid cellular devices
- Within 30 days of purchase with a receipt:
- 3D printers, 3D printing supplies, 3D printing products, activity trackers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, drones, computers, camcorders, dehumidifiers, digital cameras, drones, e-readers, electric bikes, electric scooters, hoverboards, generators, GPS units, music players, portable video players, prepaid cell phones, pressure washers, printers, radio-controlled vehicles, smartwatches, tablets, and new and refurbished video game hardware, smartwatches, and tablets
- Within 90 days of purchase with a receipt and if unopened and sealed:
- Audiotapes, CDs, videotapes, video games, and movies and TV shows on DVD or Blu-ray
Alcoholic beverages also require a receipt for return in states where alcohol returns are legal. You can find more information about returning alcohol (including more details of Walmart’s policy) in our related article on alcohol return laws by state.
Additionally, the following items are final sale, meaning you cannot return them with or without a receipt:
- Diabetic products including meters, strips, lancets, lancet devices, and syringes
- Firearms, ammunition, and pepper spray
- Gas-powered mini bikes, dirt bikes, go-karts, UTVs, and ATVs
- Gift cards
- Minutes for prepaid cellular phones
- Over-the-counter drugs that contain pseudoephedrine and pseudotropine
- Perishable food items
- Prescription drugs
- Software delivered via email
- Video game download cards
Note: Some states require by law that gift cards be returnable or refundable (as previously reported). If you live in one of the following states or territories, you should contact your local Walmart for details about its gift card return policy: California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Maine, Montana, New Jersey, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, or Vermont.
Making a Walmart Return Without a Receipt
If you need to return a Walmart purchase without a receipt, take your item to the customer service counter. Be sure you have all of the original packaging and any accessories.
Let the employee know that you don’t have a receipt. The employee will then start the refund verification process (as previously reported). You will need to present a valid government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license or military ID. Walmart will use information from your ID to keep track of your returns without a receipt in their system. Walmart may deny future return requests from customers with excessive returns on record.
The reason for your return will determine how your refund is processed. Cash refunds are only available for items without a receipt if the item you’re returning is less than $25. If your item is equal to or greater than $25, you will be given a Walmart gift card instead.
If your item is defective, Walmart may be able to help you send it back to the manufacturer for repair. The store might also give you the option of making an exchange for another of the same item or choosing a similar replacement.
Denial of Return
Store managers may deny returns at their discretion, such as denying returns worth $50 or more if you do not have your receipt. If the store manager you’re speaking with does not approve your return without a receipt, you can visit another Walmart store near you and attempt to return the item there instead.
In addition to returning items without a receipt, you might also be interested in learning more about returning opened items to Walmart and what hours you can make a return at Walmart. For more in-depth information about Walmart’s return policies, see our articles on returning a TV to Walmart, returning a laptop or tablet to Walmart, and returning cosmetics to Walmart.