Short Answer: You can return most items purchased at Walmart stores or on Walmart’s website without a receipt within 90 days of purchase or delivery, as long as you have the original packaging. However, some items do require a receipt, including video game software and DVDs. Additionally, some items have a return window shorter than 90 days. Returns aren’t available for final sale items at any time, with or without a receipt. Continue below for more details about Walmart’s return policy with no receipt.
Walmart Returns Without a Receipt
Walmart usually accepts returns within 90 days of the purchase date with or without a receipt, according to the company’s standard return policy. Any Walmart store can process returns for most items purchased in-store or on Walmart.com. You do not have to go to the same store from which you purchased the item, though store managers do have the authority to refuse a return at their discretion.
You can find receipts for online orders through your Walmart.com account; items eligible for return will have the option to print a store returns receipt. See our related article for more information on Walmart’s return policy for online items.
Return Policy Exceptions
Some items do not fall under this return policy, per the returns page on the Walmart website. The following items have a shorter time frame for returns and/or cannot be returned without a receipt:
- Within 14 days of purchase with a receipt:
- Prepaid cellular devices (as previously reported)
- Within 30 days of purchase with a receipt:
- Air conditioners, dehumidifiers, evaporative coolers, generators, pressure washers, video games, video game software
- Within 30 days of purchase with or without a receipt:
- 3D printers, 3D printing supplies, 3D printing products, activity trackers, drones, computers, camcorders, digital cameras, drones, e-readers, electric bikes, electric scooters, hoverboards, GPS units, music players, portable video players, postpaid cell phones, printers, radio-controlled vehicles, smartwatches, tablets, and new and refurbished video game hardware, smartwatches, and tablets
- Within 90 days of purchase with a receipt:
- Lawn mowers, line trimmers, hedge trimmers, chainsaws, and compressors
- Within 90 days of purchase with a receipt and if unopened and sealed:
- Air mattresses, audiotapes, CDs, mattresses, videotapes, and movies and TV shows on DVD or Blu-ray
Additionally, you can only return tires to Walmart stores with a Tire & Lube Express (as previously reported). The tires must be unused, and you cannot return snow tires at all.
Alcoholic beverages also require a receipt for return in states where alcohol returns are legal. You can find more information about returning alcohol (including more details of Walmart’s policy) in our related article on alcohol return laws by state.
Additionally, the following items are final sale, meaning you cannot return them with or without a receipt:
- Diabetic products including meters, strips, lancets, lancet devices, and syringes
- Firearms, ammunition, and pepper spray
- Gas-powered mini bikes, dirt bikes, go-karts, UTVs, and ATVs
- Gift cards
- Note: Some states require by law that gift cards be returnable or refundable (as previously reported). If you live in one of these states or territories, you should contact your local Walmart for details about its gift card return policy.
- Minutes for prepaid cellular phones
- Over-the-counter drugs that contain pseudoephedrine and pseudotropine
- Perishable food items
- Prescription drugs
- Software delivered via email
- Video game download cards
Making a Walmart Return Without a Receipt
If you need to return a Walmart purchase without a receipt, you should take your item to the customer service counter. Let the store associate know that you don’t have a receipt. The associate will then start the refund verification process (as previously reported). You need to bring all of the original packaging and accessories — the item’s packaging has a barcode that associates will scan to confirm the item was (and still is) sold at Walmart.
You will also need to present a valid, government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or military ID. Walmart will use information from your ID to keep track of your returns without a receipt in their system. Walmart may deny future return requests from customers with excessive returns on record.
Refunds Without a Receipt
The reason for your return will determine how your refund is processed. Cash refunds are only available for items without a receipt if the item you’re returning is less than $25. If your item is equal to or greater than $25, you will be given a Walmart gift card instead. If the item cost significantly more, your return may be denied altogether (discussed below)
If your item is defective, Walmart may be able to help you send it back to the manufacturer for repair. The store might also give you the option of making an exchange for another of the same item or choosing a similar replacement.
Denial of Return
Store managers may deny returns at their discretion, such as denying returns worth $50 or more if you do not have your receipt. If the store manager you’re speaking with doesn’t approve your return without a receipt, you can visit another Walmart store near you and attempt to return the item there instead.