Short Answer: You can purchase guinea fowl in person at local farms, flea markets, and farmers’ markets, as well as online through reputable breeders and bird vendors. For more details on where to buy guinea fowl, see below.
Where to Buy Guinea Fowl In Person
Buying guinea fowl (also called guinea hens) in person will give you the best chance of knowing exactly what you’re getting. It also ensures that the birds’ health and wellness aren’t compromised by a stressful shipping situation. The price can vary by vendor, but guinea fowl frequently sell for around $3 to $5 each.
Guinea fowl typically aren’t available year-round; they’re generally hatched and sold over the summer months, as well as in late spring and early fall. You may find guinea fowl for sale at the following places in your area:
Farmers Markets and Flea Markets
Guinea fowl are frequently available at farmers’ markets and flea markets where other types of livestock and birds are sold. Check community bulletin boards and calendars (through your city’s chamber of commerce or local library) to find out when and where farmers’ markets and flea markets are held in your area. Facebook can also be a helpful tool for discovering local events.
Often, the bird breeders who attend farmers’ markets also sell chicks directly from their farms. A Google search can help you locate guinea fowl farms in your area.
Some communities have poultry-specific trade events, where farmers gather to sell and trade their birds. For example, various Florida poultry swaps regularly occur on the first or second Saturday of the month.
You can find just about anything on Craigslist, and guinea fowl are no exception. Check the “farm+garden” section under “for sale” and the “pets” section under “community.” Or, simply do a general search for “guinea fowl.”
Where to Buy Guinea Fowl Online
You can also purchase guinea fowl online. The chicks, or keets, can either be shipped directly to your home or, in some cases, picked up after purchase. Volume discounts may be available if you order a large number of birds. Online vendors that sell guinea fowl include:
- Location: Lebanon, Mo.
- How to purchase: Submit a Cackle Hatchery order online. Birds are sold as keets, and minimum/maximum quantities may apply.
- Average cost: Pricing varies depending on the type of guinea fowl and quantity, but tends to range between $4 and $5 per bird.
- Shipping information: Orders can be shipped or picked up at the farm. Shipping costs start at around $26 within the continental U.S. and reach upwards of $60 for delivery to Alaska or Hawaii.
- Additional details: Birds are unsexed and hatch weekly from May to August. Submit orders early for summer arrival.
- Source: Cackle Hatchery
- Location: New Vienna, Iowa
- How to purchase: Guinea Farm sells guinea fowl keets and guinea fowl hatching eggs on a seasonal basis. Orders can be submitted online for the next year, starting around Thanksgiving. Guinea keets are subject to a 20-bird minimum order unless you live close enough to pick up your order.
- Average cost: Hatchings eggs cost around $29 to $37 per dozen. Keets range in price from around $4.40 to $6 each.
- Shipping information: Shipping is free.
- Additional details: Birds are insured so that you may file a claim for any shipping loss with the U.S. Post Office.
- Source: Guinea Farm
Stromberg’s Chicks & Game Birds Unlimited
- Location: Pine River, Minn.
- How to purchase: Submit a Stromberg’s Chicks & Game Birds order online. Birds are sold and shipped as baby keets and are available in groups of specific varieties or as an assortment while they are in season. Minimum/maximum quantities may apply.
- Average cost: Keets range in price from around $6.80 to $7.60 each.
- Shipping information: Free shipping on all baby birds
- Additional details: Guinea keets ship out from late May through October.
- Source: Stomberg’s Chicks and Game Birds Unlimited
How to Care for Guinea Fowl Eggs and Keets
According to PoultryKeeper.com, it’s a good idea to start out with young keets or hatching eggs, as adult birds can be difficult to settle in a new environment. When purchasing eggs, keep in mind that they take 26 to 28 days to hatch and must be incubated during that period. Newly-hatched chicks and keets should be kept under a brooding lamp to ensure proper body temperature. You should feed them turkey starter or game bird starter in order to get the necessary level of protein.
Looking for information on pets rather than livestock? See our articles on where to find rabbits and bunnies for sale near you and where to buy ant farm kits.